Saturday, July 20, 2013

Double-sided View

While I'm no gull expert,  based on
descriptions in my field guide, this is
an adult Glaucous Gull (at least 4th yr)
 in full breeding plumage
Olympic Mountains of Olympic
National Park - Port Angeles, WA
Just yesterday, I could stand on the west side of Whidbey Island and see the Olympic Mountain range in the distance. Today, I stand at the foot of them. I've made my way to Port Angeles, WA, surrounded by the Salish Sea and Strait of Juan de Fuca to the north and Olympic National Park to the south. You can't go wrong peering in either direction! In my short time here, I've already noticed the subtle, yet consistent call of the Glaucous-winged Gull in the background. I ventured down to the port briefly this morning to see some of these birds. This large omnivorous gull is a yearlong resident in this area, and will venture much farther south in the winter.  These gulls are unique in that they take four years to mature, with minor plumage differences each year. You know a good coastal birder when you find someone who can distinguish between the different ages of these birds. Much like Ravens in woodland areas, Glaucous-winged Gulls are quite adept predators, regularly stealing eggs and chicks from nesting seabird colonies. While I empathize with the nesting chicks, we all have to eat something!

No comments:

Post a Comment