Thursday, July 18, 2013

Root of the Wind is Water

Useless Bay Beach (above and below)
I think that the Root of the Wind is Water –
It would not sound so deep
Were it a Firmamental Product - 
Airs no Oceans keep - 
Mediterranean intonations - 
To a Current's Ear - 
There is a maritime conviction
In the Atmosphere
~ Emily Dickinson

Candace and her husband are so
connected to water that this
attractive tide clock hangs in their home
As my week comes to an end on Whidbey tomorrow, I leave with a strong sense of ‘maritime conviction’ that rests in the hearts of the islanders that live here.  This draw towards water and the sea shines vibrantly in Whidbey COASST volunteer Candace who showed me around her COASST site this afternoon, Useless Bay beach. Candace and her husband are no strangers to water, having spent their fair share of time on the open ocean, including a nearly two year sailing trip to New Zealand! Although she has her feet firmly planted on Whidbey now, as I talked with Candace today, it was obvious the allure of the sea is still quite alive. Her commitment to COASST, she says, is just one small way to “give back to this beautiful place,” a place surrounded, shaped, and supported by water. It’s a persistent theme I’ve notice among the COASSTers here. As one volunteer shared, “once you catch the water bug, you find you need it to feed your soul”. I’m glad I’ve been able to eat my fill this week!



No comments:

Post a Comment