Sunday, July 14, 2013

Whack, Whack, Whack...

Before my interviews kick into high gear, I’ve taken a little time to find some birds! If you haven’t picked up on it yet, I’m a bird-enthusiast and have been fortunate enough to connect my research and professional life with something I care deeply about.  I came across these beauties today in the hardwood forests of the Pacific Northwest.  Actually, I heard them first - the characteristic deep and resonate thump was a dead give-away. The largest of the common woodpeckers in North America, the Pileated Woodpecker depends on large old-growth woodlands for food and nesting. Relying primarily on insects for food, they carve out rectangular cavities in trees, using their barbed tongues to pull out hard-to-reach food.  These cavities serve as refuge for numerous other species, playing an essential role in the forest ecosystem. Declining for several decades as eastern US forests were cleared, the recent increase in forest cover in these areas
has helped rebound their numbers. Although these are common in my state of residence (SC), what a delight to see them alive and well in the hardwoods of the Pacific Northwest!

This snapshot is of an adult bird (L) and a juvenile (R) seen today. Pileated Woodpeckers are monogamous and have large territories. I happened upon three birds (two adults and one young) and watched both parents generously feed the growing youngster for a good twenty minutes. Talk about dedication!

No comments:

Post a Comment