Monday, August 19, 2013

Fitting Encounter

Pileated Woodpecker making quick work of this downed Redwood in
the Arcata Community Forest, Arcata (CA)
How fitting that as I near the end of my COASST travels, I happen upon a Pileated Woodpecker in the Arcata Community Forest this morning. If you’ve been following along my trip via my blog, you may remember that one of the first entries I posted here at the beginning of my journey follwed a chance encounter with a family of three PIWOs in northern Washington. Well, I’ve made it all the way to southern California and guess what shows up again? This species of bird has provided beautiful bookends for my COASSTal trip, such a apt tribute to the work that COASST does to monitor and conserve the coastal cousins of this woodland species. Seeing it today was a good indicator that it nearing time to close the circle on my multi-state trek.

No comments:

Post a Comment