Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Gem of a Marsh

Red-shouldered  Hawk
I couldn’t visit the Arcata/Eureka area of northern California and not raise my glass to the City of Arcata’s innovative Arcata Marsh and Wildlife Sanctuary. The 307 acre area is actually home to an inventive wastewater treatment facility and operation, which, by integrating conventional and natural treatment processes, also serves as a fantastic wildlife sanctuary. With 5.4 miles of navigable walking trails, there are abundant opportunities to view wildlife, especially birds, as you make your way through freshwater and saltwater marshes, mudflats and ponds. What could have been a no-mans land of muck and grim like many conventional wastewater treatment facilities, this site, maintained by the city, is a recreational gem for the community, serving as a place to gather, to exercise, to find stillness, and to marvel at wildlife. I’ve visited numerous times now since I’ve been in the area, and would put it on my “must-see” list if I ever make it back to the area. Here is just a glimpse at a few of the birds I've seen at the marsh.
Greater Yellowlegs


Flock of Marbled Godwits

Willet

Great Egret


No comments:

Post a Comment